Covenant Renewal Part 2
Topic: Nehemiah Passage: Nehemiah 9:38–10:39
General Scope of the Covenant Renewal of Nehemiah 10
1. They committed themselves again to obeying the law of God.
2. They committed themselves to NOT forsaking the House of God.
Nehemiah 9:38 and 10:28-39
Legalism is an attempt to add anything to the finished work of Christ. It is to trust in anything other than Christ and His finished work for one’s standing before God.
Antinomian is one who holds that under the gospel of grace, the moral law is of no use or obligation because faith alone is necessary to salvation.
Three Main Uses of God’s Law
- It is useful to restrain sin in society.
- It shows us our need for a Savior and drives us to Jesus.
- It guides us in living in a way that would honor and most glorify our Lord.
Their ultimate value was the authority of God’s Word.
They committed to marry only in the Lord (Vs. 30).
Believers are to only marry in the Lord.
2 Corinthians 6:14-16
They renewed their commitment to Sabbath keeping (vs. 31)
Remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.
They renewed commitment to provision for the worship of God (vs. 32-39).
Principles of Biblical Giving:
The first fruits (vs. 35-38)
The tithe (vs. 37-38)
Jesus, the first born sacrificed